Root planing and scaling is an effective restorative procedure to consider if you have periodontal disease. Root planing and scaling are treatments that thoroughly clean the teeth from the gum line down to the tooth roots. These methods may be of assistance to you in maintaining good dental health. We provide the most innovative and efficient dental treatments and procedures at Daniel Tebbi, D.M.D. in Encino, CA.
When Scaling and Root Planing Are Necessary?
Scaling and root planing is a technique for people who have areas between their gums and teeth that a standard dental cleaning cannot reach. When plaque becomes lodged in these gaps and cannot be eliminated with normal brushing, it can lead to bone and tooth loss if left untreated. This issue necessitates a scaling and root planing treatment for some dental patients to eliminate any built-up plaque below the gumline. This deep-cleaning method also aids in the removal of microorganisms in the mouth, which is beneficial to both one’s dental and general health.
Benefits of Scaling and Root Planing Treatment
Brushing and flossing every day is an important aspect of plaque elimination for certain people. These oral hygiene routines, however, are insufficient to prevent plaque development on your teeth and inside your gums.
1. Periodontal scaling and root planing is a basic non-surgical treatment that can help a patient avoid the need for more complex dental procedures in the future.
2. It aids in the elimination of all plaque and tartar from the mouth.
3. In the instance of root planing, your dental hygienist uses specialized equipment to smooth off rough regions on the tooth’s root.
4. This treatment is very important in assisting the gums to heal properly.
Risks of Scaling and Root Planing
Root planing and scaling can enable potentially hazardous microorganisms into the bloodstream. Gum tissue is susceptible to infection as well. If you have a disease that puts you at high risk for a severe infection or if an infection could be harmful, your dentist may advise you to take antibiotics before and after surgery. If any of the following scenarios apply, patients may need to take antibiotics:
1. Endocarditis is a serious heart infection caused by cardiac problems.
2. A weakened immune system
3. Recent major surgical procedures or man-made body components, such as artificial joints or heart valves
For the best dental treatments in Encino, CA, contact Daniel Tebbi, D.M.D. You can find us at 16661 Ventura Blvd Ste 620, Encino, CA 91436, or call us at (818) 789-2034.